Every SuperZoo in recent years has had a long, unfilled waiting list of companies who wanted to showcase their products at “The National Show for Pet Retailers”, but couldn’t… not enough space. In 2016 this was rectified. The Floorplan was re-structured and increased. The result: over 200 additional exhibitors, a 20% increase. However, “more exhibitors” is far from the whole story. Consider these 2016 SuperZoo facts:
- 1189 exhibitor booths as of 7/11…up from 990 in 2015…plus a few more to be finalized!
- 245,000+ sq ft of exhibitor booths (Plus a 20,000 sq ft New Product Showcase – over 700 new items)
- Over 25,000 attendees with more than 12,000 buyers.
- SuperZoo University: Seminars on Retail, Grooming and Animal Health – 80 separate sessions/topics
- Over 4 miles of aisles – just to walk the exhibit floor
Whew! This show is huge. The show floor is open for 22 hours so…..
Let’s…“Do the Math!”
If you don’t attend any seminars, visit the New Product Showcase, stop to chat with anyone in the aisles or for food, a drink or to go to the bathroom and maintain a walking speed of 2.5 mph…
Perhaps you need a plan?
As we all know, there are a lot of distractions in Vegas. However, the primary purpose for attending SuperZoo or any industry event must be to improve your business.
With a higher concentration of Pet retailer attendees and a commitment to groomers, there are subtle differences between SuperZoo and GPE. But make no mistake. SuperZoo has attendees from every major retail channel and attracts both exhibitors and attendees from around the globe. Both SuperZoo and GPE are “must do” events for anyone who wants to maintain and increase their Pet Business. This year’s spectacular growth in exhibitors is a tribute to the WPA, the SuperZoo staff…and the U.S. Pet Industry.
Despite the variety of offerings to fill an attendee’s time, SuperZoo is still primarily about Pet Products – Food, treats and a vast array of Supply categories.
- New Products are a critical element in helping to turn around the current deflation in Food and Supplies so of course, you must take the time to visit the new product area.
- Knowledge is power so you should also sign up for any relevant classes.
- Sometimes it’s not what you know, but who you know that matters most. This makes networking with other industry professionals a priority.
- “Leave no stone unturned” in your quest for success. This means you need to walk the whole show.
SuperZoo and GPE are both about gathering information and making decisions to improve your business – whether they are made on the spot or put on your “must do” list.
Every business can always improve in terms of products. If you are a retailer, what sections of your store are not doing as well as you hoped and need a “facelift” or conversely, what areas are growing and need products to fill additional space? Category managers for distributors and retail chains may only be interested in targeted visits to exhibitors relevant to their “categories”. Representatives may be looking for new manufacturers…in specific product categories. Manufacturers could be looking to find distributors to handle their products or just looking to “check out” the competition. In regard to products, there is always something to see…for everyone!
So you’re definitely going to be at SZ 2016, how do you make the most of your time on the show floor?
In 2014, I designed a “tool” in Excel ,The SuperSearch Exhibitor Visit Planner to make your time on the show floor more productive. It was well received so I have updated it for every show since. “Updated” doesn’t just refer to the exhibitor list but also to the product category offerings for every exhibitor. I reviewed every exhibitor profile on the show site, but I also visited over 1100 websites and conducted numerous online searches to “validate” these offerings. It is not 100% accurate. However, it is close.
What does the SuperSearch do?…It searches for and produces a list of Exhibitors by product categories.
- From the simplest…”just give me a list that I can look at on my phone or tablet quickly in either Booth # order or alphabetically”
- To the most complex…”can do a simultaneous search for multiple specific product categories, allowing me to personally narrow down the initial results and see the “final” alphabetically or by booth number.
The SZ SuperSearch Exhibitor Visit Planner does both…and more…and does it quickly! Here’s what it looks like. It looks complex but is truly quite simple…Of course, you will print results in “landscape” – easier to read!
- In the Top section, you “design” your searches.
- Enter a “Y” in the exhibitor search column. It turns green to indicate an “active” search
- Enter a “1” the desired category
- NEW FEATURE: The corresponding cells for affected exhibitors will also turn green. This makes your final list easier to work. At each booth, you’ll know what you’re looking for!
- If you want to search separately for several categories, use multiple rows (multiple search results are combined into 1 list for efficiency)
- If you want the results to be “and”…for example, exhibitors that carry, treats, toys and beds, put a “1” in all three…in the same row. Only those with all 3 will show up.
- Note: If you enter something other than a “1”, the cell turns red to indicate an error
- Now, click on “Execute” search and it happens
- You can then view the results alphabetically or in booth # order by clicking on a button.
Pretty simple, don’t you think? Plus, you can personally narrow the search results by using the “U pick ‘em” feature. And of course there is also a button to clear your search criteria so you can easily begin a new search.
Ready to Start Planning?
There is a download link provided for the SuperZoo 2016 Super Search tool as well as one for the instructions. Please print out and read the instructions before you start to “play”. Yes, the instructions are 4 pages long. But before you get “turned off” about their length, take a look at some of the instructions that you have around the house…vacuum cleaner – 11 pgs; coffee maker – 21 pgs; cell phone…a novel! After you see what the Super Search can do, your searches may grow more complex. The instructions will help you to be more efficient from the start… Note: SZ 2016 SuperSearch has been updated based on info as of 7/31/16. Exhibitor additions/changes from the 7/11 to the 7/19 version have a pink highlighted booth number. The changes from 7/19 to 7/22 are highlighted in blue. Lost 4, gained 1 (orange) since 7/22. Hopefully, this is final.
Plan your work! Work your plan!
You will be more productive and more successful!
Download Now…And Get Started!Download Instructions (PDF)
(To save the PDF to your computer Right Click the download link and select “Save Link As…”)Download SuperSearch SZ 2016 -7-31-16Rev(Excel)
(For the Excel file to work on your computer, be sure to enable macros/editing)